2013 Trip, Day 5 (Lori)

We woke and went to breakfast. Benjamin had dry corn flakes as the milk here is scalding hot. We then grabbed supplies and headed to the care point. When we arrived once again all the kids we're hanging out the gates to get to us. I was I the back of the van, last one to get out. Kalkidan was there waiting reaching in the van window and yelling "Lori, I love you", she took my hand and led me into the church where Aunt Virginia and Uncle Jim's sponsor child was. They both were stuck to me like glue. Once again, Benjamin was surrounded by kids. They absolutely love him. He has been a real trooper. I have received many compliments about how well he hanging in there, being the only kid on our team. Benjamin has a really great heart and is really getting it. He has even learned some Amharic phrases to help lead the kids activities.

We handed out more care packages, hair ties, dresses, decorated t-shirts, played volley ball, and much more. Today the church team started preparing for the feast. Unfortunately they brought over 6 lambs and 3 were slaughtered before we left. I chose not to watch. I had the opportunity to  make injera. I got to pour the injera batter on to the new injera maker that we bought them. Mine was not perfect, but not bad for a beginner. Benjamin also got to try making injera, his had some holes in it. It was amazing to se all the food for the feast. I have never seen so many onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, lentils, etc. They were working very hard, it was great to be able to see how much work goes into a feast like this.

In the afternoon, during our Bible study, a girl really started crying. A leader from Ethiopia, came to her and the called for an elder. They removed the girl, then we heard terrible screaming. Later we were told she had a demon in her and that they had to perform an exorcism on her. This is something very new to me, I am not sure what to think. We hear that they did this on 3 different children while we were here.

I will say this again, Friday is going to be really tough. I don't know how we will say good bye. Kalkidan already cried today because she knows Benjamin and I will be leaving. She is such a beautiful girl inside and out. Her clothes are all tattered, her shoes are falling apart, and she is very thin. She has a smile that lights up the room. Before meeting her, I bought her a purple shirt that says always shine. That shirt was perfect for her! I bought her some sunglasses, necklace, bracelets, and hair ties. She was wearing all of it. She liked to put her sunglasses on top of her head to look like me.

We came to the Sunny Side for dinner, Benjamin decided to try spaghetti. After dinner I had the opportunity to go shopping for new shoes. I rode with Fikre and Aaron in a little blue taxi. Benjamin stayed with Myndi. I was able to buy her sneakers and sandals. We spent the rest of the evening sitting outside talking and sucking on sugar cane. Only  in Ethiopia! The weather has been beautiful and the scenery is beyond amazing. We have all gotten some sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S A BOY!

Day One