Day 4 in Ethiopia (Lori)

 

Sidama Ethiopia
It is the morning of Day 5, however I am sharing about day 4.
Day 4 We woke up from sleeping in our hut after listening to all kinds of nature sounds. We could hear birds, hyenas, and who knows what else. We had a wonderful breakfast with a view. They brought out warm bread and 3 kind of homemade jam banana, pineapple, and I think papaya and very fresh squeezed orange juice it was amazing. Then we ordered breakfast. I ordered scrambled eggs and pancakes and Tamenech ordered an omelet and pancakes. By the time our food arrived 2 of Tamenech's relatives arrived that we didn't know were coming. So Tamenech and I gave half our food to them. They didn't have maple syrup but served pancakes with very fresh honey. It was, very good. We had a monkey sitting in the tree watching and hoping to step our food.
Yonas came to pick us up at 8:15. We started our drive to the village. They weren't sure how far we could make it in the van or if we would have to go by motor bikes. Our driver is amazing and made it the whole by it was a crazy drive on not great dirt roads I will share pictures of what we saw along the way. I think the drove took about 30 minutes. There were times we were barely moving and time we might have hit 15 miles per hour. Good thing it didn't rain before we went. All along through the village there people standing outside watching our van and some waving.
When we arrived at Tamenech's grandma's house there was a large banner with our pictures welcoming us to Sidama. We got out of the van and was meet with hugs and kisses from many people. every greeting comes with the tightest and longest of hugs and kisses. I am a hugger but not so much for Daniel and Tamenech. I am so proud of how well they are doing with everything. Tamenech's Grandma then presented us each with a Sidama Scarf to wear. We then loaded up and headed to the church.
When we arrived at the church, they were fully praising God. We were completely welcomed. The pastor, talked about Tamenech and her early story and about her being put up for adoption. He told everyone what a difficult time that was for her Grandma. He then told everyone how amazing God is, that he brought Tamenech back to the village. They were able to see Tamenech had a good life, a good education, a great family, and a great opportunities ahead. Tamenech's family was full body praising God. Tamenech's grandma and sister took her on stage and said a few words praising God. Everything that was said, was in Sidama language, then translated to Amharic, then to English for us. There were 2 translators translating for us. If one wasn't near us, we had no idea what was being said.
We were then called up front for each of us to address the church. Tom went first and he did a great job, I was up next, followed by Daniel, and then Tamenech. They did such a wonderful job talking in front of the church. I was so proud of both of them. We would say a little bit and then it would translated and then we would say a little more, etc. It was a beautiful service. When we arrived they had already had 2 hours of church. Watching them worship is just amazing. You know that God is in the room. They have so little but their faith is so big. We could all learn from them.
After church we started our walk to the river for Daniel's baptism. They said it was just a short walk. I am going to say it was a beautiful but not easy walk. It was all up hill narrow dirt or mud path, with hundreds of people tight together. Those of you who know me, knows I love walking and I am a fast walker, but this was hard. The elevation, I was so thirsty, I am sick, and up hill it was difficult for me. I slipped a few times, stopped to rest a few times, and was nervous to jump rocks across the creeks. I always had someone grab me if I slipped or check on my when I wanted a rest but they sure laughed at me. This is normal for them, they probably do this a few times a day. We made it to the river and it was supposed to be a small group but instead it was a large group.
During the walk I was out of breath and they were all singing praises to God.
The baptism was amazing. They dammed up the river with rocks to make a deep enough place for him to be baptized. Tom with a member from the church to assist baptized Daniel. It was beautiful and such an amazing thing to witness.
I think it is neat that both Benjamin and Daniel chose to be baptized in Ethiopia (Benjamin many years ago). It was quite the site to turn around and see hundreds of people on the hill watching Daniel be baptized and cheering.
In Ethiopia we don't wear shorts but Tom and Daniel had bathing suits on. There was no where for them to change so they were in bathing suits the rest of the day.
We then started our walk to Tamenech's parents graves. It was very emotional. Tom and I stood for a long time holding Tamenech and her sister Hamselech. We were then taken to her uncles house on her dad's side of the family. We were served dry beans/ seeds and a coffee ceremony. We then went to see her sisters new house. She is 20 and was recently married. Next we hiked back to the church, where we were served more seeds and another coffee ceremony. They are making Daniel a baptism certificate. The church leaders spent time talking about the church. They asked us to pray for the church. They need to expand so they can serve more people but don't have the funds. They asked Tom to pray for all of them and the church.
We walked to Tamenech's grandma's hut, this is where Tamenech lived with her sister after her parents passed away. There were people everywhere. They had chairs set up for us (almost like we were on display). There were lines of people just waiting to hug and kiss us, and like I said before their hugs and kisses are long. They were all trying to talk to us, but we have no idea what they were saying to us, Which is probably a good thing. A few people were upset that Tamenech didn't remember the language or who they were and how they were related. She hasn't been there since she was 4. She learned the sidama language there, then was taken to Addis where she learned Amharic for 6 months then on to the US to learn English.
I don't even remember stuff from when I was 4. Her sister said I can finally see my sister but I can't talk to her.
We were then taken into Tamenech's grandma's hut. It was dark and so many people came in, it was very crowded. Things started to get a little uncomfortable. We said at the beginning of the trip, if things got to be too much, to say our safe word and we would get them out of there. The safe word was used, we headed to the van and we left. It was a great time to leave, because a short time later it started to rain and I don't know if the van would have made it out. Over all it was a beautiful and amazing day. When we made it back to our hotel, it was pouring. The driver couldn't drive all the way in because of the rain and mud. He told us to wait until the rain stopped. Tamenech and I hadn't gone to the bathroom all day because there are no restrooms not even a squatty potty like at the park the other day. After the long hike I drank a full liter of water and part of another bottle. This cold medicine is really drying me out. I grabbed umbrellas from our back pack and told them we were running for our room and bathroom. When we got to our hotel hut the electric was out.
We had a late lunch at our hotel and then hung out with yonas and Our driver Mr Gold (who is an amazing driver and friend). We ended the day exhausted from the day and emotions. Overall it was an amazing day filled with so much joy.
I can't even begin to paint a picture of our surroundings and the love felt.
Tamenech is like royalty, she is always surrounded by people wanting to be closest to her. They all want to be her favorite.
I am so thankful for this opportunity to be back in Ethiopia, to share this trip with Tom, Tamenech and Daniel. This is a gift from God. I am so thankful that we were able to bring the kids back to be reunited with birth family.
This is a life changing trip for all of us.
I am so thankful for Yonas, he really planned this trip well, thinking of everything. He is a true blessing to our family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S A BOY!

Reunions (Tom)